Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday....the first day

Monday. This is the first day of my unemployment. I keep thinking that today is just a vacation day and that I'll be heading back to my old desk tomorrow morning; business as usual. Only it's not. It is a very peculiar feeling indeed.

I woke up this morning, the kids got off to school, I went to the gym again (for the first time in a while) and I ran an errand or two. It's already a little past Noon. Where does the time go? I've been on two job boards. Applied for about 3positions. I've played in the kitchen. I've walked around in circles in the house wondering how to wear these new shoes. I suppose it will just take a little time to get adjusted to a new routine. I'm impatient though because I want to know what's next so badly. This is an exciting time for change and it's also a bit scary. This is where the trust comes in. I can barely see 3 inches of the path in front of me; I just take a small step and walk.

Working out this morning felt great. I stayed away from the Gym for a few weeks when I was working through some anxiety issues. This morning I made the decision to get my ass there. During this time of new transition, it's more important than ever to exercise, eat well and develop healthy rituals that honor my body and spirit. Later this afternoon, I'm going to walk over to Kendall's school and watch her play in her music class recital. On Wednesday, I'm volunteering at Max's school to help serve their hot lunch that the kids help make. These are activities that I can do now that would have been much harder when I was working. It's important to honor the kids too.

Here's a picture of a chair that I'm working on. It just didn't seem to take a life until very recently. When I first met Breen, I had done a collage with a Helen Keller saying, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing". He really loved that quote. Since this past Friday, that same quote has come up on my IGoogle home page at least 3 times. It was a sign, I figured. So on Sunday, I grabbed my jar of old scrabble tiles and spelled the saying around the outside of the chair. I think this one will be one of my favorite chairs. If I ever complete my set of hand painted Dining Room chairs, this one will belong to Breen at the head of the table.



Today's lunch: Walnut and Potato Croquettes from Deborah Madison's cookbook

4 comments:

  1. I've been a SAHM and wife for a very long time and I still wonder how some days get away from me. You'de think by now I'd have it all down. But today, it's almost time to pick up my son and I've only done half of what I wanted to accomplish.

    I love the chair!!! Where do you get so many wooden Scrabble tiles? I want to use them on my cards and another project or two but don't have enough to spell certain things out and my new game has black plastic letters so I can't even sneak them out of there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy this time! Love the quote... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how you channel all of your energy and creativity, Jane. I too love the chair, and like Mary, wonder where you got all the wooden tiles. It's absolutely gorgeous! When you're home, time goes by MUCH more quickly, IMHO. Love, O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane I love the chair and the quote you put on it with the tiles. what creativity. the lunch looks yummy as well can't wait for the recipe.

    Peace and Hugs

    ReplyDelete